At its general meeting on Wednesday, June 10, 2020, the Hunter Mill District Democratic Committee voted to approve a statement on the recent protests across the nation. The statement, authored by the Committee’s Vice Chair, Outreach, Shyamali Hauth, was approved without objection by the Committee’s membership, and is reprinted below:
Statement of the Hunter Mill District Democratic Committee, adopted June 10, 2020:
This weekend a million plus people around the nation, and thousands right here in the Hunter Mill District, gathered to protest the recent murders of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, and Ahmaud Arbery. Their deaths have galvanized our country and our community to say enough is enough. The Hunter Mill District Democratic Committee (HMDDC) stands in solidarity with the black community and we raise our voices to say with conviction: Black Lives Matter!
We also acknowledge that these murders are just the latest in a series of incidents where black lives have been lost due to aggressive policing, criminal justice inequities, and systemic racism. Systemic Racism goes much deeper in our society and we must work continuously to educate and fight against systematic oppression and injustice. This work starts with tackling prejudices and biases present in our own communities, families, and in ourselves. Dr Martin Luther King, Jr., said it best when he said “Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”
We commit to the hard work of self-examination and personal change.
We commit to increasing diversity within our organization and our elected leadership.
The HMDDC will work to:
- Educate and weed out inherent biases within ourselves and our organization and create a more inclusive and welcoming environment where all voices can be heard
- Recruit and elect diverse leaders at the local, state, and national level
- Ensure our elected leaders reflect the values of the Democratic party and our community
- Hold elected leadership accountable for working to eliminate all vestiges of systemic racism in Fairfax County, throughout Virginia and across our great country
- Maximize voter turnout and engagement
Our hearts are with all families impacted by racial injustices. Even as our community grieves with you, our resolve to make structural change grows. We stand with you now and always.